Cork Electric Tramways
The Cork Electric Tramways and Lighting Company operated a passenger tramway service in Cork between 1898 and 1931. Services started on 22 December 1898 when the company had 17 cars in operation. Over the Christmas period, weekend traffic was heavy and there were some minor accidents and injuries, including some passengers who, having been celebrating Christmas, fell from the tramcars.The trams discontinued operations permanently on 30 September 1931, falling victim to the increasing popularity of bus services operated by The Irish Omnibus Company, and the takeover of the company's electricity plant by the Irish Electricity Supply Board. The tramway generating station at Albert Road now houses the National Sculpture Factory.