Octagonal toll booth, built around 1880. Situated at the busy junction of St. Luke's Cross. Livestock and produce entering the City had to pay tolls or tax, and a network of stations, manned by Toll Collectors, covered all approaches. Tolls were abolished in 1927. Renovated in recent years by Cork City Council, the booth has become a symbol of the cross.